Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baked Meatballs

I have seen various versions of this recipe. The original came from the Atkins website, but I have tweaked it to make it "mine", and I have to say that they turned out mighty tasty! I had made the recipe to the "letter" from Atkins a long time ago, and remember that they weren't very flavorful, but with my "tweaks" they surely aren't short on flavor!

BAKED MEATBALLS
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground pork

1 Tbs.  dried chopped onion
2 Tbs. Garli Garni

1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, (I used the kind in a can)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon onion salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste, I probably used more)


Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. (and I lined my baking sheet with foil)
2. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl using your fingers. Mix until the meat no long feels slimy from the eggs.
3. Shape in golf ball size meatballs and place on a large baking sheet with sides. Bake at 375� for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are done all the way through. (and I turned on the broiler once they were cooked and broiled them until they browned up a bit-- about 5 minutes).

Ready to bake
Makes about 20-30 meatballs  (I got 24)
Can be frozen

Ok, so I have to warn you that mine flattened out on the bottom-- didn't bother us any, and sure didn't impact the flavor.... here's a pic, I am sorry-- I know it's not the best.

Bake meatballs, the cheese sort of leaks out of them... oh well, if you really care you could remove it, we didn't!

I served these with a Trader Joe's spaghetti sauce (4 net carbs), shirataki noodles (1 net carb) and a salad. Very Yummy! Look for my post on  shirataki noodles for more details.

Per meatball: 92 Calories; 7g Fat; 6g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; .5g Net Carbs


Products mentioned in the post:
 Shirataki Noodles (Pack of 5)
 Garlic Festival Garli Garni - All Purpose Garlic Seasoning 2.8 Ounce

 Kraft Grated Parmesan, Reduced Fat, 8-Ounce Canister (Pack of 3)

No comments: