Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pizza Pita Pockets

So, I blame this recipe on too many pizza commercials on TV! :) But, every now and then I get a craving for pizza, and my husband would eat it nearly every day if I let him! Last night was one of those nights, besides I had just received our order from netrition.com with Joseph's Middle East Bakery Low Carb Pita Pockets.... and so I went online to find a recipe. I found one from Cooks.com (here), and tweaked it to make it more "our style".

Pizza Pita Pockets

1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
2-3 Tbs. Garli Garni
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 c. commercially prepared pizza sauce (lowest carb you can find, ours had 3 net carbs)
1/2-1 tsp. Italian seasoning (dried herbs)
1 Tbs. dried onions
1/2 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. salt (I used onion salt)
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 mushrooms, sliced
1/3 c. diced Mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
2 (7") pita bread (Joseph's Middle East Bakery Low Carb Pita Pockets)
In a skillet heat oil over moderate heat.  Add meat, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Spoon off and discard any fat. Add pizza sauce, garli garni, onions, italian seasoning, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Simmer 3 minutes. Stir in cheeses; cook a few seconds, stirring constantly, until Mozzarella begins to melt; remove from heat. Cut about a 1" slice off one edge of each bread, and open the pockets. Spoon meat mixture into pita breads. Heat a nonstick skillet over moderate high heat. When hot, add stuffed pitas. Cover and heat 30 seconds longer. Serve hot. Makes 2 servings.
Served with a salad, it was a great dinner! :) I will definitely make this again!

No comments: