Friday, March 4, 2011

Cheesy Mashed Turnips

I had never cooked turnips before, and now I think I am in love! They have been a great substitute in my recipes for potatoes. I used them first in clam chowder, and they were great.... so, being encouraged with my success, I decided to buy more and try this recipe. I have read various recipes for this, one in Dana Carpender's book: 500 Low Carb Recipes, and various ones online. This is what I ultimately came up with:


Cheesy Mashed Turnips
Ingredients:
- 1 lbs of Turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbs. Butter
- 2-3 Tbs. Garli Garni
- 1 tbs Onion salt (to taste)
- 1 Tbs. Chives (fresh or dried, I used dried)
- 1/3 C. shredded cheese (I used a shredded "Mexican blend" cheese)


Directions:

  1. Wash, peel, and cube turnips.
  2. Place in a sauce pan, and just cover with water.
  3. Bring to a boil
  4.  Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until very tender. 
  5. Remove from heat and drain. 
  6. Mash; add butter, onion salt, garli garni, pepper. Stir until well mixed.
  7. Mix in cheese until melted.

These turned out great, a little watery, and I am not sure why. But it was still really yummy, this makes four 1/2 cup servings with about 5 net carbs per serving. 

Note: I have seen other recipes that incorporate heavy cream, or cream cheese, or even sour cream.... and I will have to experiment with those in the future.


Products recommended:

No comments: