Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mock "Goldfish" Crackers

Looking for a good crunchy snack? The Food Network's George Stella had posted this recipe, and I took it and made it more my style. I plan to take these to the movie theater next time I go, so that I won't be tempted to buy popcorn! 


Mock "Goldfish" Crackers

Ingredients

    ·         2 slices American cheese, Gouda, Colby-Jack or any other cheese you happen to enjoy 
    ·         1/2 teaspoon onion salt
    ·         1/8 teaspoon chili powder
    ·         1/8 teaspoon Garli Garni
    ·         Low-carb salsa, as needed

     

    Directions

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Stack the slices of cheese and cut it into 16 small squares. Separate the pieces, and transfer them to a zip lock. Reserve some cheese. Add the onion salt, chili powder, and garli garni toss to combine. Arrange the 32 cheese pieces in 4 rows of 8, on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving as much space in between each as possible. (I often do not use any parchment paper, and just put the cheese on an un-greased pan, and they turn out just fine.)
    Also put out the reserved spice-less cheese onto parchment paper lined baking sheet.
    Bake both until well-browned and crispy, about 7 and 7 1/2 minutes. If they are soggy, put them back in the oven for a few minutes. (I find that my oven needs more like 10 minutes)
    Cool the crisps and crackers completely before serving—as they cool, they'll crisp up. Store on the counter in an airtight container. 

    Products used:

    No comments: