Sunday, March 20, 2011

Italian Pork Tenderloin

I bought one of these double packs of pork tenderloins, you know the ones that you get at Sams Club and then think-- how will we ever eat it all?! But the freezer is my friend, and today I used up the rest of the pork tenderloin in a yummy "Italian" dish that all began when I read this recipe. But, since I didn't have some of the ingredients and wanted to add others-- this is what I came up with:


It's hard to photograph food... but trust me, it tasted great!


Italian Pork Tenderloin


Ingredients:

  • 2 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Cup chopped Bacon, pre-cooked 
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dried Sage
  • 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (herbs)
  • 1 Tbs Sun Dried tomato paste
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced
  • 2 Tbs. Shallots, chopped
  • 1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloins, cut into 1/2" strips
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/2 C. heavy cream
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper



Directions:

  1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat, saute bacon, sage, herbs, tomatoes, tomato paste and shallots, until the shallots are tender.
  2. Mix the pork strips into the skillet, and brown about 10 minutes, turning once.
  3. Remove the pork strips from the skillet. 
  4. Stir the broth, wine,  and heavy cream into the skillet, and season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Bring to a boil and reduce by about 1/3.
  6. Add the pork back to the sauce.
  7. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pork reaches a minimum temperature of 160 degrees F and sauce is thickened.

I served this with a green salad and over low carb linguine, it was very good!


nutrition for the recipe alone:
Calories 473.3   Total Fat 25.6 g       Saturated Fat 10.6 g       Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g       Monounsaturated Fat 7.5 g   Cholesterol 175.8 mg   Sodium 300.0 mg   Potassium 840.4 mg   Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g       Dietary Fiber 4.5 g       Sugars 0.8 g   Protein 51.4 




Linked up at these parties:
While He Was Napping Recipe Exchange

Tuesday Night Supper Club
  

6 comments:

Cheerful said...

sounds delicious, thanks for sharing your recipe! :) PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...wishing you a great weekend!

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

The photo is ok, it still look very yummy!!!

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

It looks delicious! Followed you here. Mine is up - My Food

Anonymous said...

Oh I have a lot of pork tenderloin in my freezer today, hmm..will cook this up soon!
Oh, by the way, I have a mini giveaway ongoing:
WIN TICKETS FOR 6 TO THE BEST FOOD FORWARD FOOD FAIR!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

This sounds great! Can't wait to try this!
Come visit me http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

~new follower~

cherry said...

gonna try out this recipe. i have a lot of meat in my fridge too. =)

here's my entry:
http://www.domestic-cherry.com/2011/03/maginhawa-strip-carbo-loading-at-ted-ps/