Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cannoli Cream with Blueberries

I have had some Ricotta Cheese sitting in my refrigerator for about 2 weeks... I know, I know... but I couldn't come up with anything to make with it. At first I planned to make those "pancakes" that I see the recipe for everywhere. But just never came up with the desire to make them. So after searching a bit online I found this recipe for Low Carb Cannoli Parfaits by George Stella from the Food Network's "Low Carb and Lovin' It" series (which is sadly off the air). But being me-- I had to tweak it... cause number one-- I didn't want the chocolate chips... and number 2: I had some blueberries to use up. Although, I imagine one day I will try it the way that George Stella suggested!


Cannoli Cream with blueberries:

  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
  • 1/4 teaspoon real almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh

Directions

 1. With an electric mixer on high, whip heavy cream just until frothy, and then add sugar substitute and almond and vanilla extracts. Continue to whip on high until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over-whip, or cream will break.

2. Gently fold in the ricotta cheese and almost all of the blueberries, saving a few  for garnish. Spoon cannoli cream into parfait glasses, top with remaining blueberries, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Serves 4.
8.9 net carbs/serving

No comments: