Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rutabaga Fries

Rutabaga, a root that I had never tried before.... and I have to say they are ok, as long as it's a fairly thin sliced and it has been fried, and dipped in ketchup or ranch dressing. I can't say that I will keep rutabagas on hand at all times, but for days when I really want "fries" with my burgers - they will be a good substitute. 

Ok, so I read that if you soak them in milk or cream for 1/2 hour before cooking them it helps remove the "bite" or the bitterness. Not sure if it did or not, but I did soak it after I had sliced it up.

Rutabaga Fries
Ingredients:
  • 1 Rutabaga, peeled, sliced (the thinner the better)
  • Onion salt (to taste)
  • Garli Garni (or garlic powder) to taste
  • Coconut oil/Olive Oil/ (any other frying oil)
Directions:
1. Wash, peel with pairing knife, and slice (fairly thinly) the rutabaga.
2. Submerge the sliced rutabaga in cream/water mix for about 30 minutes
3. After 30 minutes, rinse the rutabaga of the cream mixture.
4. Heat up the oil to 325 degrees F.
5. While oil is heating up, coat "fries" in spices.
6. Fry the "fries" until golden brown and done through (I didn't get them all cooked through, and we didn't care as much for the flavor of the "raw"ish ones).
7. Serve with ranch dressing, sugar free ketchup, or whatever you enjoy with your fries. 


Products used:

No comments: