Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cheesy Egg Custard

My friends served this at a get together at their home, and I had to have the recipe, and attempt to make it! :)  Since I was wide awake this morning hours earlier then necessary, I figured I could try it out! 


Cheesy Egg Custard
Ingredients:

  •  1 cup coarsely grated Gruyère cheese (Swiss is a good substitute)

  • 1/4 cup chopped chives (I used dried)

  •  5 large eggs

  • 3/4  cup whole milk ( I used about half heavy cream and half water)

  • 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened

  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

  • 1/4 tsp. onion salt


  • Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish (2 inches deep).
    2. Sprinkle Gruyère and chives evenly in dish.
    3. Blend eggs, milk, and cream cheese  in a blender with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. (I used a hand blender)
    4. Pour egg mixture over Gruyère and chives in dish and bake until puffed, set, and golden, 35 to 45 minutes. (It took about 50 minutes for mine to cook completely.)Serve warm or at room temperature.

    Serves 4. 303.5 calories, protein 17g,  Carbs 1.4g , fiber .2  = 1.2 net carbs


    We enjoyed it, but I baked it in a Pyrex bowl, and next time I will bake it in something more shallow because it took longer to cook this way (I think). Anyhow, it tasted great and was a nice variation of "eggs" for breakfast! :)

    Products mentioned in this recipe:

    No comments: