Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Sauce for Pasta

Enchilada Sauce and Pasta in the same meal?? What? No way! I was sitting here trying to plan dinner, but craving enchiladas, which is not the easiest meal to make low carb...and then it dawned on me... I have enchilada sauce, and I have low carb pasta! I bet I can make something out of that! Then I did a few searches online for enchilada pasta dishes, saw that I am not the only one out there with "interesting" tastes!


So, with ingredients I had on hand, here's what I came up with....


Chicken Enchilada Sauce (for Pasta)


Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Shallot (Onion would work, I only had shallots on hand)
  • 1 tsp minced Garlic
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 Tbsp Garli Garni
  • 1 19 ounce can of Enchilada Sauce 
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp Splenda (our sauce needed it, because the enchilada sauce was soooo bitter)
  • 2 lbs of Shredded cooked chicken (I used Pollo Asado from Costco)
  • 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
Directions:
  1. Dice the shallot (onion).
  2. Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add onions and garlic- cook until the shallots are translucent and the garlic is very fragrant. Mix in the oregano, cumin, and garli garni. 
  3. Add enchilada sauce, heavy cream, lemon juice, and splenda (if you need it), stir to mix.
  4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
  5. Add chicken, and bring back to a boil, and then simmer for another 6-8 minutes.
  6. Add shredded cheese, be sure not to boil it after you add the cheese. 
  7. Serve over pasta with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
By my calculations this will serve 5-6 people. It has 54 net carbs total, that makes about 9-10 carbs per serving. 

Not as yummy looking as it tasted, trust me.... :)

No comments: