Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer Pie

Is there a more perfect way to celebrate Pi day (3.14) then to eat pie? :) I think not!! But doing so and remaining true to the low carb way of eating can be challenging. I had some definite ups and downs working through this recipe. But I think I got it... :) I may have to do some more tweaking, and if I do-- I will come back and make some updates. I found the ideas for this pie here and here.


I am not a cake decorator... so don't judge! lol :)




Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer pie


Ingredients:
-For Crust:
  • 1 1/4 Cup of Almond Flour/Meal
  • 1/4 Cup of Coconut Oil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt 
  • 5 Tbs of Icy Water
For Chocolate Layer:
  • 2 Tbs Butter
  • 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 2 Tbs. Cream
  • 1/2 Cup of Splenda
For Peanut Butter Layer:
  • 4 Tbs Cream Cheese, softened- room temperature
  • 5 Tbs Peanut Butter (I used creamy All Natural Skippy)
  • 1/3 C Splenda
Topping:
  • 1 Cup Heavy Cream
  • 1 Tbs Splenda
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin
Directions:
1. Crust: Mix Almond flour, salt and coconut oil by cutting in the oil, then add 1 Tbs at a time of icey water, mixing as you go. It will be crumbly but will have the ability to hold together. Next, press the dough into a greased pie plate, spread over the bottom well, and then bake at 450 degrees F for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. 
Before I added the water

while the crust cooled... I will explain below why the edges were so dark...
  • Allow pie crust to cool and then put it in the freezer, and allow to freeze before you make your next layer.(I only waited about 15 minutes)


    2. Chocolate layer: Melt butter and chocolate in microwave approx. 2 minutes (stop about every 30 seconds to stir). Mix in cream and vanilla. Stir well. Mix in splenda. Pour over frozen pie crust and put back in freezer.
    With the the chocolate layer spread on the crust... just barely enough!

    3. Peanut Butter layer: Mix peanut butter, cream cheese and splenda with hand mixer. Spread over frozen pie. Put back into the freezer.


    With the peanut butter layer spread on top...

    4. Whip cream with vanilla, gelatin and splenda until stiff peaks will form. Spread over pie and refrigerate.
     There are about 53 net carbs in this pie, that makes 6.625 per slice (assuming 8 servings)


    A "profile" picture... look at the yummy layers! (my crust was about 2x's too thick (explained below)...

    So, this pie was a lot of work, but it was worth it! Even my carb-loving friends gave it their stamp of approval! :) 
    Things I learned along the way: 
    - if it doesn't work the first time, try, try again (see pics below)
    - unflavored gelatin can be mixed into your whipped cream (no noticeable taste that I could tell), and it will prevent the whipped cream from "deflating" or "weeping". I actually used about another 1/2 tsp in the little bit of topping I saved to pipe the words with.... and it held up very nicely!
    - you could definitely make the crust using butter
    - ALWAYS read the reviews/comments before you try a new recipe!!!! :) (as evidenced by by experience noted below!)




    My trials with making this crust:
    The original recipe called for 1 1/4 cup of almond meal/flour and 2/3 cups coconut oil. I thought... hmmm, that seems like a lot, but I went for it. And it looked fine, I even patted it up the sides of the pie pan to make a "true" pie crust. Then about 5 minutes into the baking I took the following picture, and realized there might just be a problem:


    See the problem? Startin' to "melt"
    Apparently the amount of oil was too high, but I gave it another 5 minutes (just in case) and here was the result:


    Kind of bubbly and soupy looking... :(




    Check out this perspective... it was nearly bubblin' over... 


    So, I mixed in more almond flour (about a cups worth) and was happier with the drier consistanacy and put it back in for another 15 minutes (thus the super dark edges-- but not burned, I do not burn things - I BROWN them!! LOL). Next time I am definitely going to cut back the oil to 1/4 cup (thinking that's about right since my crust was still a bit "soft" once it had come back to room temperature).


    Linked up at the following parties:


    Between 3 Sisters Mid-Month Motivation

    4 comments:

    ♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

    Thanks for sharing it with us!

    i♥pinkc00kies said...

    YUMMY!! peanut butter is LOVE!!

    lyzacruz88 said...

    may I have a slice? Happy FTF!

    followed your blog too, hope you can visit & follow back http://www.lyzalane.info/2011/03/ftf-chowking-madness.html

    Cheerful said...

    sounds great, thanks for sharing your recipe! PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...have a great week!